At Western Obstetrics we encourage early skin to skin contact after delivery, for all the benefits it gives to our mothers and babies. It involves placing your beautiful new born baby up on your bare chest, head covered with a dry hat and a warm light blanket over their backs.
Skin to skin has so many benefits for both mothers and babies.
- Calms you and baby therefore they will cry less
- Releases hormones that relieve stress and stabilise baby’s temperature, breathing rate, heart rate, and blood sugar.
- Releases a hormone that lowers mum’s stress and promotes healing.
- Helps your colostrum (the first milk that is full of nutrients that protect baby) to flow more easily.
- Boosts baby’s immune system and protects against illness and disease.
- Builds a strong brain through the smells, textures, and sounds the baby experiences while he’s on mom or dad’s chest.
- Helps baby gain weight faster.
- Helps mom breastfeed longer by building her milk supply and making her bond with baby stronger.
- Lowers mum’s risk of postpartum anxiety
- Creates connections between mum, dad, and baby that last a lifetime.
- Gives mum a chance to rest or take a break.